Blog Subtitle

Reverse-engineering the Ultramarathon

Monday, February 13, 2012

Unveiling the Monster


All the way back in October in a post I called "That Sinking Soaring Feeling" I talked about the race that I was seriously considering making my goal race for 2012.  I called it a 'monster,' and the idea of entering it both thrilled and frightened me.

Well, I'm in - and here for the first time (for my massive reading audience) I am unveiling the monster!

What you're looking at above is the course map for the Virgil Crest Ultras, held in Virgil, NY on September 22-23.  The course is a 25-mile out-and-back, primarily on the single-track Finger Lakes Trail.  It includes an 'alpine loop' in which runners climb and descend the slopes of Greek Peak Ski Resort.  Altogether the 50M has approximately 10,000 feet of elevation gain (and 10,000 feet of descent).  Here is an elevation profile:


Those running the 100M get to do this twice!

The cut-off for the 50M is 16.5 hours.  That seems generous enough sitting here months away.  We'll see.

One thing is for sure - this is a serious motivator for training!  As soon as I get through Mind the Ducks in May I will be hitting the trails in earnest - and probably looking to maximize weekly elevation gain/loss as much as weekly mileage.  Fortunately for me, Greek Peak is less than an hour from home, so I should be able to get familiar with the course - if not even train on it regularly.

Should make for a fun-filled summer of trail running!

No comments:

Post a Comment